LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Thursday, October 20, 2016

High School Flashbacks With The Bimoji Fude Brush Pen

When I first saw the Bimoji Fude Brush Pen, I had major flashbacks to my high school days when I used to have weekly Chinese calligraphy homework and I used to have this Chinese brush that looked so similar! However, despite the similarity in appearances the Bimoji is no ordinary brush for calligraphy. Read on to see why! :)

Buying a Bimoji Brush Pen can be a bit tricky as it comes in a lot of variations. They have a Fude variation which features a hard brush tip and comes in Fine, Medium, and Large. They also have a Brush variation which uses a real brush and also comes in the same three sizes. You can differentiate between Fude and Brush by simply looking at the white rectangle in the corner of the cardboard packaging. If it's a Fude tip, the black part is only near the edge of the illustration, while the brush tip has a fully-black illustration for the brush tip. As for the size, luckily for me, I can read Mandarin which allowed me to know what size I was getting.

This time, you have to turn your attention to the words in the Black Circles underneath the White Rectangle. The characters you have to look for are 細字 for Fine, 中字 for Medium, and 太字 for Large.

The only part you can really use in this brush pen is lower half. The upper half is just for show. Haha! No matter how hard you try, the upper half will never touch the surface because the Fude tip is so tough anyway.

In terms of performance, the Fude nib is very very similar to the Kuretake Cocoiro Super Fine Tip (My review here) If you have trouble creating super fine lines because you have a heavy hand like me, Fude pens are definitely your best friends! The hard brush tip will create your thin lines with almost no effort at all :D

This is probably because I'm just using the brush pen for the first time, but the ink can be a little inconsistent at first but the results are quite nice! Overall, I think Fude brush pens are better if you've tried real brush nibs so you can compare which works better for you. For me, I learned to really love my Fude brush pens after trying a ton of different brush tips and realized how good they are for people with heavier hands. In terms of performance, I feel that the Kuretake Cocoiro Super Fine performs slightly better but is only able to produce really small words because of the tip. The Bimoji brush pen wins in terms of variation though because of the many size choices while the Cocoiro only offers Super Fine and Real Brush. Probably, getting the Fine Tip might actually yield the same results. This is a fun brush pen to have, especially if you like the super Asian motif for the body design! Haha!

You can get this at Craft Carrot, Pens Galore, Scribe stores, and Invitation House stores. 

10 comments:

  1. I guess the brush pen becomes better with every use and with familiarity. You are really good at this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really very creAtive and loved these handwritten brush strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The packaging makes it look very much like a traditional Chinese calligraphy brush. Very nice. The point though makes a big difference. I guess it takes a different skill to write with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very thoughtful of you to put up the mandarin characters for reference. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these quotes handwritten so beautifully will make an excellent gift. Thanks for giving me an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not much into calligraphy but I enjoy seeing people's works! These sound like amazing pens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a lot of friends who are into calligraphy. Your work is not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Is that your own handwriting? You really have good calligraphy skills and you can vary your style as well. I guess using the right brush helps. Keep it up! - Mum Tuscany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pingerrain should totally check this out. It's really gorgeous... I like how you do the comparison with all the different pens as a guide for those who need it as a reference...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I want to have this. I adore my friends who are into this hobby, it really amazed em!

    ReplyDelete