LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Simplicity Wins With The Zebra Pocket Brush Pen

I love it when brush pens surprise me with incredible performance. Especially those that aren't really famous online! I've always wanted to try the Zebra Pocket Brush Pen but I've always been turned off by the price here in Manila. 100 bucks was the cheapest I could find and it was still rather steep for a disposable brush pen. I was so happy when I found it during my last visit to DAISO in Japan. They had it for only 100yen! That's about 40php! Didn't even hesitate and grabbed a fine tip brush pen for myself and medium ones as gifts for my friends. Sort of wishing I got it at Medium as well now! Read on to see why I think this pocket brush pen is *the bomb*

If you ever see one in stores, you can differentiate between the sizes available by looking at the light blue box on the upper right side of the plastic packaging. The characters you have to look for are 細字 for Fine, 中字 for Medium, and 太字 for Large.

The fude tip is almost identical to the Kuretake Cocoiro Super Fine tip, but I actually find that the Zebra Fine Pocket Brush Pen works better for me at less than half the price of the Cocoiro! Awesome, right? I still love my Cocoiro to bits, though!

The Zebra Pocket Fine Brush Pen is perfect for those with heavy hands like me who have trouble producing fine lines in calligraphy. This brush can easily create super fine (0.05MM) to medium lines  (1.5MM) but requires a lot of force to create about 2,5MM lines.

Right off the bat, the brush pen works beautifully and I have a feeling I'll be using and repurchasing this for a long long time. :)

You can get this at Craft Carrot and Pens Galore PH.

12 comments:

  1. Nice handwritten typography skills you got there. I have to say as a calligrapher by hobby, that we got to be really picky when choosing the right brush. I found one in a Japan surplus shop in Shangrila Mall last year, although I don't read Japanese, I got a Medium by chance. I got to use it once but I gifted it to someone else. I see you're a student of Architecture. Calligraphy is a good way to practice clean strokes. I wanted to be an architect so much but my mom never approved as it's a man's profession he told me. :( But thats ok. Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually recognize this brand Zebra. Is it related to the popular ballpoint pens? I guess the pens are as good as the persons writing with them. You can definitely write calligraphy very artistically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I had the skills to do those typography but even just my normal handwriting looks bad. That's a really nice and effective pen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really have a beautiful handwriting. I bet even without the brush pens, you're handwriting still rocks! But I guess the brush pen really does its job when it comes to coming up with good typography. Are you into calligraphy writing too? I tried that before in Taiwan but I just I'm just not talented unlike you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a writing skill. I think I have to learn from this. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these handwritten notes and post, they are beautiful and wonderful to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I personally find brush pens a bit tricky to work with than calligraphy nibs. You're rrally good at it. And of course the price is a steal...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I'm not familiar wthat kind pen since I'm not into art and drawing. I wish I have that kind of talent. You'll go far with that gift, continue to mold it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to calligraphy in school days. Your post reminds me to try out again. This pen looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm learning from this post. I would really love to try out calligraphy. Hope I'd find the time to do it soon. So taking notes for this pen of choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, calligraphy and looking at your penmanship is kinda therapeutic. You can totally write them and share them on fb as quote of the day images...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to make this as a hobby but I am very limited now. Maybe when my toddler grows up a little, by the way I like your style!

    ReplyDelete