LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Tombow Dual Brush Pens: 96 Pieces of Goodness

So happy I finally got around to preparing my review for my Tombow Dual Brush Pens! I've had them for over a few months now and I've definitely gotten to use them quite a lot in a few recent projects of mine, so read on to learn more about the pens, my experience with them, and a few works I did with the markers!

It was actually quite difficult to find the Tombow Dual Brush Pens as they aren't really that well-known in the Philippines. Usually with online stores, they sell it by sets of 12 which are presets by Tombow; these sets range from Monochromatic, Skin Tone, Primary, Landscape, and many more! The sad thing was that trying to buy it locally in sets just isn't the way to go. On average, sets of 12 cost about 1500php and I knew I needed more than just the 12 in each set available, and 1500 is way too much for 12 pieces!

Finally, I found all 96 colors available sold in a set on Amazon, bit the bullet, and finally got them! Also, it's definitely worth noting that I used Johnny Air Plus Cargo to help me ship it to Manila. So convenient and so easy to talk to! Plus, it's cheaper than most third party shipping companies! (Amazon shipping is crazy expensive!)

The set itself costs about 6000php. Not bad for 96 markers! Shipping was about 1500php.

On to the markers, it's actually quite similar to my Staedtler Marsgraphic 3000 Duo. Obviously, this is the classic body of a dual-ended brush pen. Like my Staedtler brush pens, they're slim, simple, and made of plastic. The only difference is that Staedtler brush pens have a few more curves for a better grip.

When you take off the caps, you'll see a fine tip felt marker on one end, and a surprisingly firm and pointy brush tip on the other!

Here are the strokes you can make with the brush pens. The brush nib can create superfine to incredibly thick lines! Not hard to control at all. The firmness of the brush tip gives someone with a heavy hand a lot of precision especially when using it to color!

The fine tip produces superfine to fine lines. I think the thickest line is about 1mm thick.

Sampling a little calligraphy with the black marker. These brush pens are definitely great for this very purpose, which is probably why a lot of calligraphy-themed online stores sell it!

Interior perspective I did. Used a combination of the Tombow markers and my Rotring technical pens!

Also used it to completely render my final plate for my second year of college! Even the calligraphy for the word, "St. Paul" and the background!

I think it comes to no surprise that I have a lot of love for these pens. Definitely can't wait to see what more they can do! :)

17 comments:

  1. Very very nice artwork you have shared once again. So this is your secret pen set for these attractive school projects. Will keep that in mind if my kids should have this need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was a good investment! I wouldn't have baought it because of the hefty price tag, but since you got a LOT of colors, I'd say that was just fair trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful art works. I didn't know that you were into this. I have to agree with Phylicia that this is a great investment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 6000?? wow that's very expensive. Well, maybe because that's for professionals like you :) Very impressive drawings you've posted. Bravo! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice... it reminds me of childhood times where we love to have the whole set of rainbow coloured pens or pencils, even when we don't use them all

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, how did you make the stroke THAT thick (your thickest stroke for brush tip)? Really seems like a nice choice for those who do calligraphy or artist impression drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your collection ! You wrote beautifully and this looks like a secret to that lovely art work. Wish to have for my kids but little pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They have all the colors and stroke size here. This would definitely be a complete set for your lettering and drawing needs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love your drawing! The equipment's good, but it's definitely your skills that make these drawings shine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These great pens reminded me of my college days. BTW, you have nice art works again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such an expensive pens! But as a future architect you definitely need those

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have something similar and i love them. i miss doing sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are your magic tools for your artwork. I wish I can draw too but I dont really have the artsy talent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for sharing this, my brother just started to enter university and his major is architecture and i think it will be the perfect gift for him

    ReplyDelete
  15. This set is heavenly. I would love to get my hands on those and revive my sketching... Now, I've got to find out how much it would cost to send it to Singapore :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have seen a similar set of pens in NBS before and I was quite confused how to use them (2 tips). Now, looking at your artworks gave me a clear idea how to use these pens! If only I had a hand like yours. It would be worth getting this collection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I was a bit creative when it comes to typography. These pens look so cool which I am going to recommend to one of my bffs ho is an art student =)

    ReplyDelete