LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Japan 2015: Cloudy At The Kiyomizu Temple In Kyoto

The few hours we spent at Kyoto before being whisked away to Hamamatsu were easily the most magical few hours I've had in 2015. I love how Kyoto has all these modern buildings but also manages to retain such a beautiful cultural side that is incomparable to anywhere else. We visited the Kiyomizu-dera or Holy Water Temple, which to no surprise was also very crowded. Read on to see more of this gem!

The road leading to the temple is filled with cultural shops ideal for buying all your souvenirs as well as uniquely Japanese treats like their flavored soft-serve, pastries, and all the Matcha Green Tea flavored food you can imagine! Would have really loved to explore this cultural area more but as usual, we were rushed to the temple itself.

Already in awe of the gate. *o*

Honestly some of the best photos I've ever taken in my entire life are here at Kiyomizu. It really sucks though that I was stuck using my 50MM f1.8 which, let's face it, isn't ideal for travel photography because it's stuck at 50MM view. Taking photos of entire structures was practically impossible. #DSLRstruggles

No regrets though, because the photos I was able to take were the ones I'm proudest of! :)

Make a wish! There were so many wishes written in so many languages!

So so many people in Kimono!

This girl was actually doing a little photo shoot of her own by the wishing boards and I took a ninja shot of my own! Haha!

This is a pagoda you can see from the Kiyomizu-dera. I'm not sure which temple this is, but I could not resist taking a photo of this view!

It is believed that exposing yourself to the incense smoke brings you blessings and luck.

Small cultural street where you can see even more cultural stuff! I wasn't able to explore this area but I bet there's street food here :D

The spring of the holy water. People from all around the world come here to wash their hands as well as drink the holy spring water!

Developed quite an obsession with photographing the winter trees and the remaining pieces of autumn foliage. I honestly can't imagine how wonderful it would be if I were to visit at the height of autumn!

Another prayer area within the complex.

There's a long wooden bridge you can walk where you can take a photo of the Kiyomizu-dera as well as Kyoto's cityscape. Afterwards, on our way back, we went to get some Matcha Ice Cream and it was so great! Not bitter at all and very balanced. I was half-expecting to be overwhelmed with authentic Matcha Green Tea. LOL

There's too many things I've yet to see in Kyoto and it literally took me just a few hours to fall in love with this place. Must go back! Haha!

17 comments:

  1. i love these wonderful photos,and they are so cool
    Jecicadress

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the animes I've been watching all my life just became real. I love your pictures! Japan has always been one of my dream destinations. There's something about the food, environment and culture that's just so attractive to me. Looks like you had an awesome trip. Keep it up! Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos look great! A zoom lens or a kit lens for me is best when traveling. Carrying a handy camera is also better. :) Now I'm comfortable with a mirrorless camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recall going to this temple to visit the well. We saw Japanese teenagers wearing Kimono to visit this place. They are really very proud about their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man... I love the architecture and serenity at Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto. Its so peaceful there despite of so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Japan is on my list of places to travel to. Since there is a military base there I'm hoping to do a military hop and make a visit. Your photos only make me want to visit more and sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to go to Kyoto. the old Japanese buildings are just so pretty. i saw a lot of them in Takehara-shi. I hope I can travel to Kyoto next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that they value tradition and still stick to it. Kyoto is such a beautiful place to go to. Very serene and relaxing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos of Kyoto are amazing. I felt I was with you traversing the whole city.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice clicks despite the camera lens :P My favorite shot is the one with many wishes written in different languages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Kiyomizu Temple looks really beautiful. They were able to preserve the place and give you a classic feel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm jealous!!! Japan is a dream destination. And I have to say that you really captured important cultural and traditional aspects of Kyoto thru your pictures. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Japan never disappoints. I looooove love love this country and Kyoto if one of the places that I will be visiting again soon. Nice pics, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The place looks great. Esp all the wishes written and those little cards and tied up look great. The girl and her traditional outfit is a perfect outfit & perfect shot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dream destination!! I do hope to visit Japan soon and wear a Kimono. Hopefully it would fit me then. :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. Japaaaan! You keep popping into my mind! You're feeding my dream! :) I am hopefully going to experience Japan this year. It's only my list and schedule. Hopefully, will push through. This is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful photos jason! Japan has always been a dream destination of mine and every photo here just makes me want to book a flight already. Kyoto is amazing.

    ReplyDelete