LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Art Supply Review: Brush Pen Love with The Staedtler Marsgraphic 3000 Duo

I've been itching to do a full-on review of these beauties for the past year and I've only gotten to it now because I only got to buy most of my other colors on my last trip to Hong Kong in January. If it was only possible, I'd get all the colors! Huhu #MoneyProblems

Read on for the full review on these awesome brush pens! :D


The body is pretty simple; it's Staedtler's signature blue color on a plastic casing which feels just right in hand. It's a bit long as well for a pen but it's totally a non-issue except it might not fit in smaller pencil cases. There are two nibs: The felt tip on the right and the awesome brush tip on the left! 

These are the thickest and thinnest lines you can create with each tip. The brush nib is able to produce up to 5mm lines and an extremely light hand can create a 0.3mm line. As for the felt tip, 2.00mm to 0.1mm respectively. 

I absolutely love using the brush tip because of its great flexibility. Also, the finish is always this lovely marriage between markers and watercolor. There's a lot of moisture that comes out of the brush tip which makes it mimic a "newly painted with watercolor" feel. The light shades can actually seriously pass for watercolor. This is especially great for people who've never fully understood watercolor like me! (It won't love me back. LOL)

Usually with markers like Zig's Kurecolor, using watercolor paper would absorb them right up which makes it hard to blend. With the Staedtler Marsgraphic, you can just go and blend away. As you can see, I'm still learning because I am just so bad at watercolor! Hopefully will be able to create nicer gradients with enough practice. Haha!

You can also use it for calligraphy! LOL excuse the shaky lettering, but it can create differing tones as you write, almost similar to gradient watercolor calligraphy.

I've also been using it a LOT on my design plate right now. It just makes rendering so quick and easy which is exactly what I need right now with this plate. It's so large-scale that if you aren't fast enough, you won't be able to finish it at all. :(

Anywho, if you have the chance, you guys should definitely give this a shot, because it is so great and I couldn't love it more. I personally prefer this over Copic's Ciao Line because the ink isn't too intense like with Copic Ciao. Sadly, since the Staedtler Marsgraphic 3000 Duo didn't get as much press as it deserved, it's really obsolete which explains why I could only find it in Hong Kong. I'm not sure if you can purchase it anywhere within the Philippines, but it's available on Amazon since everything's there anyway. (You can see it here.)

Here's to more art reviews in the future! I'm currently eyeing Tombow's dual markers which have been said to be pretty amazing! Anyways, wish me luck! :D

21 comments:

  1. great art tools. btw, are you an artist by profession? you seem have a talent on calligraphy. i want to learn that as well, ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently an architecture student. You should definitely try calligraphy out! :)

      Delete
  2. I remember using markers back in college! O boy, hours and hours of drawing! It all helps when you have good tools =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me at 'you can also use it for calligraphy'. Although I don't think I can write something that looks as nice as what you did because my handwriting is too small and I haven't written in long-hand for quite a while. I would love to learn though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calligraphy was on top of my head until I got to that part, haha. Good job! I'm not so artistic but I'm sure these pens are a treasure for the ones who are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like Staedtler pens - you are so lucky! You are certainly more creative and artistic than I am! Sim x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staedtler Pens! Blast from the past from my childhood when I used to follow their calligraphy book for lettering needs in school projects. These look pretty nice, but I guess expensive. I think this is a great idea for my kid for his graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love collecting pens! and this I would really want I might trying searching for it here in the Philippines first. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good review!!!I will search it and try it!!!Love this kind of pens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is always nice to fine a good one to use! I have to check them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having two sided pen with different strokes size is really efficient. It can help you do more intricate works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are very creative. I love doddling and these might inspire me to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This tool is perfect for any art design plate, the texture and colors are awesome, I would definitely love to have one in my collection as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do more art work! I like you last image where you did some simple design! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks promising for lettering, and the blending you did was actually good. Post a photo of your finished design plate here so we can see how you did with the brush pen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, my sister would love this. Hopefully they make this available in the Philippines soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great art pen. Miss my old Staedtler Tech Pens that once I used during my drawing days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the way you review the pen, looks so interesting and I'll really wish to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not very artistic but my brother just got an art degree so this would make a good gift

    ReplyDelete
  19. these pen are perfect for doodle art and calligraphy!

    ReplyDelete