LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Illustrator Dreams with The Mangaka Flexible Brush Pen

So hard not to patronize ZIG Kuretake products when they literally think of everything! I was so unsure about getting myself the Mangaka Flexible Brush Pen because I didn't think I needed a pen for outlining since I had my Rotring Technical Pens anyway, but my art material addiction said otherwise. Hello, impulse buy! Haha! No regrets though, because the Mangaka Flexible Pen was *awesome.* Read on to see what I mean!

Packaging again is straightforward but beautiful. On gold foil letters, you can see all the info about the pen. Favorite part is the subtle gold glitter melted into the plastic body! So pretty!


The brush tip hardly looks like a brush because it's just so small.

However, once I tried creating different lines, I was surprised at the level of control this pen gave! Pretty sure people with a lighter hand can create 0.05mm lines without any challenge. I, however, could only manage 0.1mm - 2mm lines.

Sample work! Did a quick sketch of Milla Maxwell from my current obsession, Tales of Xillia. (Cue heartbreak music) It was probably because I did it so fast which is why the line values could use a bit more range, however, I'm pretty sure this pen will absolutely shine with medium-large scale drawings. I only did this sketch on a tiny notebook.

Sampled it on letter-sized bond paper and loved how it performed! Took a photo before ruining it with my mediocre rendering skills. LOL. The good thing though is that the Mangaka Flexible Pen actually doesn't smudge with Copic Markers and my Tombow Markers! :)

So far, I feel like the Mangaka Flexible Pen by ZIG Kuretake would work wonders for people who are absolutely obsessed with doodling and drawing Manga. It's like having a range of points in one nifty little package! You can check this out at Craft Carrot! :D

16 comments:

  1. You're a born artist Jason. You really have talented hands! Anyway, do you think this brush pen would work for hand lettering as well? I have just started learning that and one of the kits to have is a brush pen. I want to work with a black one first. I was thinking if this would work or would you be able to recommend me one? :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mangaka pen has really nice control so it's actually great for finer calligraphy as well. It will definitely be more preferable if you're planning on doing smaller scale calligraphy (Like a fancily written letter! :D), though. But for simple quotes and short statements, you should try the Akashiya Koto Brush Pens available at pens-galore.com! (Review of that soon!) :)

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed by the ladies you've drawn...The part i like most is the wavey hair... nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely an artist! I love your drawings and that pen is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you did it, but you actually made a review for a pen very interesting to read. I guess your innate flair for drawing and art really made this article come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason you are an artist, you draw so well. The pen obviously creates a smooth strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your drawing! You are extremely talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really have a gift, Jason. I wish I had the same. Drawing is really one of my frustrations. I've always been stuck with stick people. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice sketches, regarding the product..Hindi ba nag-blot yan?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pen is the mark of your personality when it comes to sketching. One important thing to remember is the relationship you put into your pen. Love much to Rotring ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a great illustration pen. You are also good in doing sketches and illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really admire those who know how to properly draw, sketch. It's a gift that unfortunately I don't have. By the way, how much is the Mangaka Flexible pen? - KarenT

    ReplyDelete
  12. While it seems to be a great pen I couldn't help noticing how great of an artist you are. Don't underestimate yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great. I love illustrating with felt tips too. Your drawing are great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This pen particularly handy for quick sketch work, and very useful to an art enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I could draw like that! Those are really pretty drawings.

    ReplyDelete