LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Christmas 2014 Dubai Photo Diary: Cruising The Great Desert Safari

The famous Desert Safari adventure of Dubai is nothing like anything I've experienced before, and I say this in a good way! I had certain expectations and this place turned out to be quite different from them. Read on to see the Desert Safari experience!


The most memorable thing about the Desert Safari is actually not in the place itself but in the journey going there. See this stretch of endless sand? You're going to be traversing all those crazy slopes and mountains on a Land Cruiser and I have to tell you that it's going to be more insane than any roller coaster ride!

You're going to be travelling for about 30 minutes with a lot of pit stops in between as the drivers need to readjust the air in the car's tires constantly to be able to drive along the crazy ups and downs of the terrain. I actually got incredibly carsick in the process but a lot of the people I was with seemed to have a lot of fun. LOL

Feet on the cold sand. I was like jelly at this time because intense car ride is intense!


Several pit stops later, we were brought to a place that literally felt like the middle of nowhere. These two camels greeted us though.


Ironically, the Desert Safari isn't exactly a zoo-type of tourist attraction, it's more like a camp. I expected to see animals and other stuff you'd expect in the wilderness because of the use of the word, safari.

Still, it was a great way to learn more about the culture of the locals. There was this little station where guests could try non-nicotine shisha - the cool way the locals smoke. (Not that I would ever want to smoke though.) In this case, they use fruit essences like apples and oranges! Cool thing to try if you're curious about shisha. :)


We had dinner while watching two cultural dances. The first one was more of a belly dancing number by this lovely lady. She even did tricks like balancing a sword on her head, chest, and hips!

The second act was by this man who started out just spinning and spinning while balancing round plates. It starts with two and then ends up to about seven or eight! Then later, he just suddenly lights up! His *whole* outfit just lights up! Sadly, the hosts didn't actually get to explain why these were the cultural dances and the meaning behind them.

Finally, some exotic grub! In the entirety of the trip, we always had either Chinese food or international cuisines at hotels, but never Middle Eastern food! I was really happy about our meal here. Unfortunately, it wasn't exactly good because a lot of them were already cold but I definitely enjoyed the falafel!

Last leg of my Dubai travel series coming soon! Would you go to the Desert Safari? :)

17 comments:

  1. As someone who grew up in Dubai, it is really nice to see visitors appreciate the traditional arabic heritage! I haven't done the dunebashing tour yet but I adore the Arabic cuisine!

    www.thefabulousfoodieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos look surreal! It's like I'm just looking at a magazine! Wow! Great shots! And just like before, I envy you for being able to travel and see Dubai with your bare eyes. Looking forward to visiting them in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dubai looks like a fun city. I would also get car sick if I did ride that. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my brother and sister-in-law also got incredibly car sick during this same activity in the Dubai desert. I should get ready with a Bonamine before that ride because it still looks to great to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your special arrangements from desert safari to dinner is a two thumbs-up! Sisha is one of the thing I can't forget, when your too innocent what is inside then after a pop you have that a kind of a headache!!! Hahahahaha....lolz..just curious to know and I will try again but in a moderate way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you actually cruised the desert! I've heard of the sandstorm and getting lost in the desert... will be super scared if I happen to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must have been a great adventure for you to have planted a footprint in a desert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents went to Dubai before. But I couldn't join because I was sitting for my final that time. =( Hope I can visit there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so fun exploring the soft dessert sands and slopes with a Land Cruiser. I should add that to my bucket lists.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Desert Safari in Dubai City is amazing to experience. The belly dancers are swaying to the Arabic beat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard about that Safari tour from a few friends and relatives. I would love to experience that kind of ride but will probably take Bonamin prior. And I'm glad you finally were served authentic local food, I'd ask for it often too if I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cool! Added it to my travel bucket list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been on that day tour before, the desert were amazing. During day is hot and at night is cold when the wind blows. The food that they served there were very basic right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I loved seeing a spotf of Dubai, I love getting involved in traditional evening so much fun. I have to say though ive never experienced a hot Christmas so far that would be different.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always make me want to visit every time I read your post. Now Dubai is actually on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an interesting tour, and yes I'd love to try it some day. Not the top of my list but it'd be great to experience it just once :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Experiencing the dessert safari is one of the things in my bucket list. I wish I can visit Dubai someday.

    ReplyDelete