LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, September 13, 2015

ZIG Kuretake Drawing Pen Review

I've been having a Drawing Pen obsession lately and after trying the COPIC Multiliners (Check out my review of this here), I've been set on trying to find cheaper alternatives that could match COPIC's magnificent performance which is why I went on to get these pens by ZIG Kuretake. Read on to see how it fares!

The packaging is simple enough. It's really quite reminiscent of Staedtler's packaging for their professional technical pens. It looks professional and legit and I love it.

The nib is similar to the famous UNIPIN drawing pens (which I'm sure every illustrator has tried at some point) but I've always felt that UNIPIN's drawing pens have a really fragile nib. Also, there is little to no distinction with their various points. At least, that's what my experience with it was. Since my COPIC Multiliners are in 0.05, 0.5, and 1.0, I got the 0.10 and 0.30 tip with my Kuretake Drawing Pen.

Using the drawing pen was almost exactly like using a legitimate technical pen, however like most disposable drawing pens, the point does not ring true which is usually the case. The 0,10MM tip actually looks like 0.20-0.30MM in reality, while 0.30MM looks like a 0.40MM line, which came in handy for me since I originally intended to get myself a 0.30MM/0.40MM point. Definitely keep this mind when buying one for yourself! :)

The ink also did not budge when I used my Tombow Water-based Markers on it.

Here's a pen and ink plate I did where I used mostly my ZIG Drawing Pens. I used my ZIG Cartoonist Mangaka Flexible Pen to fill in the black spots and the grass.

I'm definitely so excited to do more with these Drawing Pens that are so perfect for finer detail! You can check this out at Craft Carrot for 72PHP or at National Bookstore for 79PHP! They've got it in all points! :)

22 comments:

  1. Comprehensive reviews and comparisons, thank you for that. I don't really use pens that thin though but I can imagine for artists like yourself.. it could be helpful. I need more training in the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I don't know much about the differences of a pen can make in drawings but you really seem to know your stuff! I guess that's the difference between a pro and a layman, hah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last picture is so beautiful with lots of detailing and shading work. It is so great to see you know so much about the different pen and their best usage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're really talented, I admire all your work. I don't know much about drawing pens, but I normally but something similar for my thought diary. I usually use the .05 tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said this is less expensive but you never mentioned the price. The quality looks very good for a person like me who is not too particular with the point accuracy. Of course your drawing was very good as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for mentioning this! Just updated the post with the price. :)

      Delete
  6. It can really give you fine lines when your are drawing. You are also really good in drawing here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are these pens only good for drawing? I'm just really amazed at how well defined the tips and strokes. I want to use them for writing! Haha. Now, it makes me wonder, how much do you spend in a year for pens like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely multi-purpose! I'm not sure about how much I spend on pens as well. Haha! :D

      Delete
  8. I will check this brand at national Bookstore or some other place, but I want it as my sign-pen, not on drawing. I think, this one is great than Staedtler brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both great! Staedtler is usually more expensive though. :)

      Delete
  9. Nice drawing Jason! You really have talent. Been eying Zig pens for a while now but haven't really gotten to the point of purchasing one haha. Maybe next week so I can start doodling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a great tool for illustrators. It seems precise and easy to use. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review as a pen and good thing that you have provided good examples of how it looked like after you used it. It it actually the kind of pen I like with a mark of less than 0.75.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My eyes went wide like the Facebook emoticon when I saw the final castle drawing you did! It's amazing and you are good and I'm soooooo impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just create amazing drawings every time you post something about pens and art stuff. You're so good! Another pen that I will recommend to my sister. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! How much are these? These are great gift idea for my friend who loves to draw as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're 72PHP at CraftCarrot.com and 78PHP at National Bookstore :D

      Delete
  15. Looking at the pics, would say it's a good pen! Didn't know it could turn a simple paper into an artwork! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm no artist so at first glance, it's just an ordinary looking pen. I never could have imagined it can produce such an art. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is something graphic designers should have. If ever I buy this one, then i'll use it lang as sign pen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The plate you came up with looks really nice. i imagine using this pen really helped make your plate look more magical.

    ReplyDelete