LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Friday, August 21, 2015

Beautiful and On-The-Go with The Akashiya Koto Brush Pen

I've been so caught up with readjusting to a new schedule for school that I can't believe I totally forgot to try this beautiful brush pen that my dad got me all the way from his last trip to Japan! First thing I noticed was how *gorgeous* the design on the body is! Perfect souvenir, comes to mind. Anyway, I totally forgot to try it until recently and also just found out that it was a famous brush pen by Akashiya! Read on to see more about this brush pen!

It comes in this hard plastic box. I feel so weird not reading the labels and seeing Akashiya all over it. Haha! You see, I've been wanting to try Akashiya's brush pens for a while but never got around to it because they're more expensice than the usual ZIG Kuretake brush pen.

Still can't get over how lovely the design is. After some research I found out that this is wrapped in Washi paper with Kyo-yuzen and Edo-komon designs. Definitely, more pens need to look like this, but it makes it all the more difficult to throw away as this isn't refillable, as far as I know.


The simple soft brush tip is able to create really fine lines to thick lines about 4.5. However, the ink is mostly consistent on the tip which means creating thicker lines causes the ink to go streaky and inconsistent which probably means this brush pen was meant for smaller lettering.

Sample work with the Akashiya Koto Brush Pen. A minor fail on my part since I wanted to quote my new favorite architect, Thom Mayne, but ended up just paraphrasing because the words didn't fit my small notebook and I can't with small lettering. LOL

Second try still didn't fit. Haha!

Overall, had lots of fun with the Akashiya Koto Brush Pen. There's something different about the brush tip of Akashiya. Somehow, I feel like I'm able to handle it better than when I tried the Sakura Pigma Brush Pen, or that could possibly be because I've had a lot of practice since then?

You can get this brush pen locally at Pens Galore PH which they sell for the same price as in Japan! (300php)

20 comments:

  1. P300 is quite costly for a pen but looks like the quality is worth its price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful pen, perfect for people who are into calligraphy. The brush strokes are very consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just 300! Seriously! I've seen brush pens being sold on Instagram for more than that and I don't think the quality is any better or higher than this one. Wow, I think I might just get me one from Pens Galore PH! Thanks Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The design of the pen looks beautiful; indeed a pen worth keeping. If it is refillable then it's a good choice. The strokes are well defined on paper. I know this would be very helpful for your studying and your calligraphy + designing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a very beautiful looking pen! Very Japanese design which I find so cool. Good that you like the way it writes calligraphy so it is worth its price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like the pattern of the design they did on the pen. and nice calligraphic writings you've got there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you write some of the bloggers' names and share them the next time round? Will be pretty cool to see that in beautiful calligraphy next time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's such a waste that the pen is not refillable. You can still keep it and showcase the beautiful Washi design ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the design of the pen as it looks unique. It looks great for calligraphy too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your handwriting and your review of these artistic pens are quite helpful who wants to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pen but there is no way I would spend that much on it. I guess its for those that are in to that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This brush pen looks fancy. I like the design and how it writes ( based on your pics ).

    ReplyDelete
  13. This pen is so beautiful. I don't think I want to use it. Maybe just keep it as collection. haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sister would definitely love to have a pen like that. She's into arts and this is from Japan. Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My sister would definitely love to have a pen like that. She's into arts and this is from Japan. Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My sister would definitely love to have a pen like that. She's into arts and this is from Japan. Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My sister would definitely love to have a pen like that. She's into arts and this is from Japan. Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a really exquisite looking pen. They should have made it refillable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's such a pretty pen. Actually I think it makes a sensible Teachers' Day gift for elementary school kids!

    ReplyDelete