LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Cheap Thrills With The Yoka Brush Pen

In another effort to broaden the spectrum of my blog, I've decided to try my hand at making art supply reviews! Ever since starting college, I've been quite the art supply enthusiast. Entering an art store nowadays sort of gives me the same high as I would normally in my favorite clothing stores. Plus, drawing and rendering have become such a huge part of my life now that I can't believe it took me so long to share more of that side of my life. This is my personal blog, after all! Haha!

So my first-ever review is going to be on the YOKA Brush Pen! Read on to find out my experience with it! :)


Because of a few people I follow on Instagram, I've become really interested in calligraphy; probably not as hardcore as the people I follow but I knew I definitely wanted to try it out! Coming from a Chinese school, I have a bit of knowledge on basic Chinese calligraphy because it was part of our curriculum. The difference now is that I have to write English words!

Since I only wanted to try calligraphy out, I didn't want to jump into buying anything expensive just yet, so I started with the Sakura Pigma Brush Pen, which I probably won't review anymore because I bought it a long long time ago, but I can say that the Sakura brush pen is more for people with experience because the brush is a bit more delicate, also because it's prone to fraying which probably won't be a problem for long-time calligraphy hobbyists. I may have just been using it the wrong way. Haha!

Anywho, the University of Santo Tomas has three major art stores (which I talked about in my #TipsForUSTArkiFreshies series) and when I passed by Joyce's with my friends I saw that they had this brush pen on display. Long story-short, curiosity and my love for brush pens got the best of me and I ended up buying it especially because it was pretty cheap for 35 pesos. :D

The Yoka Brush Pen looks like any marker out there until you uncap it to reveal the large brush tip. I set my expectations very low with this brush pen. Since it really was quite inexpensive, I expected as much that the large brush tip wouldn't be so amazing. After all, this is just beginner gear, I'm sure.

The brush tip is basically just a larger fine felt tip with minimal bending unlike the Sakura Pigma Brush Pen that works almost exactly like any other paintbrush. The only upside to this is that the brush won't fray at all, but getting the different thicknesses that you want with calligraphy becomes twice as challenging. The thinnest line I ever made was about 2mm and that was already with an extremely light hand, while the thickest line I could make was about 7mm.

Here's a sample of my uber noob calligraphy. Haha! Definitely a decent starter brush pen for beginners. Maybe when I find a brush pen with a softer brush nib, I'll get that one as an upgrade. LOL

Other than calligraphy, I use this brush pen for rendering and detailing for my drawings like the ones above. On the left, I used a Staedtler Fineliner pen for the thinnest lines, Artline 1.00mm Calligraphy Pen for the thicker dots, and the Yoka Brush Pen for the main part of the dress and the thickest dots on the hem of the skirt. On the right, I used only the Yoka Brush Pen. :)

I think this brush pen would work great for artists who specialize in Manga illustration for something to quickly fill in the large spaces that are to be just black. For architecture students, this brush pen is a great tool for filling in concrete walls for sections and floor plans!

Conclusion: As the title says, the Yoka Brush Pen is a fun cheap thrill for art supply enthusiasts like me. If you're interested in trying out calligraphy, I think the Yoka Brush Pen would work just fine but I definitely think experienced people should stay away from this pen since the quality of the nib isn't that great for hardcore hobbyists. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it because it can do a ton of things for me. Will definitely repurchase! :D

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure where else you can pick it up. Yoka isn't exactly too much of a big-time brand to be distributed everywhere. You can pick this up at Joyce's in UST, Padre Noval Street cor. Espana, and maybe try hitting the nearest National Bookstore or Office Warehouse to see if they have it.

Happy Sunday, guys! :)

20 comments:

  1. you drew and written all those in your pictures? wow, you're sure talented indeed! very pretty calligraphy and drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very talented in calligraphy and even fashion drawing and design. Don't forget us when you are already a famous fashion designer in the future! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire those who can come up with frame-worthy calligraphy works. I happen to not be gifted in this area, haha. :) Nice pen. Perhaps I shall try getting me one and practice on it secretly, heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Different kind of pens have character and attitude too. I trusted only one type at a time but different in usage. That was before, my college days. In choosing for calligraphy, the feel and smoothness matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! I need to buy one. It will come in handy sa ministry work ko.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like a good pen... but i am not sure this would any help me at all as i don't have a good penmanship ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calligraphy is really making waves now. I have friends who've been taking lessons and they've been makign all these pretty quotes. Does the Yoka Brush Pen come in other colors?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're an architecture student, right? You could be a fashion designer too! Hehe. You're really working on your calligraphy, huh? Good on you for trying different things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't drawn in ages and I miss it. The drawings you've done are beautiful and the pen looks great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love your drawings. How inexpensive is your inexpensive? hehe I am a hoarder of pens but a little on the stingy side. I already have a brush pen which the ink ran out. I now use it as a dip pen. hehe yes, I dip the brush pen in ink and do my calligraphy exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have zero talents in arts so I really admire your skills in calligraphy and your drawings. I hope you add more of your personally made illustrations on your site for us to admire.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This makes me curious with Caligraphy. I've only studied about this back when I was studying asian history. Haha now, I might give it a try too.haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey you continue to amaze me with your penmanship! Lovely card, I like the flower and the script too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving your drawing and calligraphy! Your penmanship must already be very pretty! <3 Anyway, it's really nice that you found where to best use this brush pen on. :) I'd love to get my hands on this some time too, although I already expect it'd be a challenge to do so. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the model and dress you drew! It's really pretty and has an elfish and pixie feel! The Good Morning word is much better than your previous work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a beautiful job on your drawing and your skills as an architect show through..., Very lovely penmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to get the Yoka Brush Pen and start to practice my calligraphy skills.

    ReplyDelete
  18. After all you can still use the Yoka pen. Your drawing and lettering are awesome. I bet you are good in copying a handwriting from someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was pleasantly surprised with what you came up with, considering the pen was way too cheap! I think you have great skill already that's why

    ReplyDelete
  20. juice, Perry, packaged adapted and European lagers on offer. With well more than 100 conventional.drone photography

    ReplyDelete