LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, August 6, 2017

From Black Mirrors and Warm Lights

I don't think I've ever thought about what to write for as long as I did with this very random personal post. Haha! But I know I would regret not marking this very significant portion of my life on my blog just because I had a hard time finding the right things to say.

As of last Friday, my internship at Jagnus Design Studio *officially* ended and the thought of going back to life at university for another year is not only scary as I'll be starting my architectural thesis, but also incredibly depressing. It's depressing because I've never truly liked my university and the only thing that has kept me going are the very few but very incredible friends that I made studying there. I think it's also my mistake for not recognizing sooner the conformist culture that UST breeds and that has never been for me. Being part of a college that only values output and is incapable of adjusting to the times can have its toll on anyone. There are so many people I know who used to love to paint but can't even manage to pick up a brush during their free time anymore. The system that never listens burns you out. And it's these aspects of UST that's made me appreciate my apprenticeship all the more.

It wasn't just about finally being away, but it's also about realizing that I still enjoy what I do once I separated the concept of actually designing and working to finish a requirement for school. I was mostly tired of not learning anything new anymore. By my fourth year in college, I realized that everything we did was just a different version of what we had just previously done. There was nothing more they could teach us, and it isn't their fault either. The next level of learning was only going to happen outside of school from there and I can confidently say I was right.

I just never thought I would be part of a team that has been as welcoming, as insane, and as amazing as the one I found in the past 2 months. Being in Jagnus and working with some of the best people I've ever known - who also understand what it means to not follow every rule that's been imposed upon you - has been the most refreshing experience. I'm just going to miss seeing these people 5 days a week. But I'm pretty sure I'll be coming back so much to ask for help with my thesis that they won't even remember that I wasn't an intern anymore. Haha! Knowing I have this second home of sorts to go to, I'm now a lot less scared and lot more ready to kick some ass.

Thanks for the keeping the spirit of rebellion alive. Cheers!

Photo taken by Aaron Quinto.

10 comments:

  1. That's so awesome that you found an internship you liked! It's so sad that you're leaving, but it's amazing at the same time that you had a lot of realizations. I hope you keep remembering the things you've learned, even as you go back to school. Just a little bit more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that you liked the internship! Yes, I agree. In several years of higher education, its true that we don't learn as much as we do when we start working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great to know you have wonderful friends to go back to when you finish an adventure. Good luck in your future adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you should always look for more in an internship, give more and go beyond your limits to show them that they need you. Nobody liked studying but we have to do it. Think it like this, if you weren't in uni you wouldn't have had the chance to be part of this awesome internship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really good that you realised not to conform to expectations or to standards, but to be yourself. Good on you and good luck for the rest of your journey!

    www.jojohua.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one beautiful photograph you have up there. Do they allow photoshoots in that area? Very classy looking! Congratulations on your internship and the lessons you have learned there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can never really go wrong with black. It's nice that you've found a second home too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good you've found a place and team you can really work well with. Great photography and look, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so great that you've found a place like that. Nice photography. And your entire outfit looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being deviant is not at all bad. It is both refreshing and liberating. And embracing changes is something that we need to be open with. But rules are equally important too. They form the foundation to which changes sprang from.

    ReplyDelete