LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, August 14, 2016

July 2016 Travel Diaries | Kenneth Cobonpue Showroom, Cebu

One of the highlights of my entire visit in Cebu was definitely getting to visit the Kenneth Cobonpue Showroom. A little background on this industrial designer: he made his name in the United States after experiencing countless rejections in the Philippines. He's especially famous for his furniture designs that are very reminiscent of Philippine Vernacular Architecture. On the photo above, I pose with a super special tricycle design mostly made with steel but finished off with a gorgeous woven detail.
.
Wouldn't you love to own this Living Room set? Beautifully inspired by the islands. I bet they would go with any home in the Philippines. It looks so light and cool! This is definitely a recurring theme in his designs.

This chair was literally inspired by a flower. I've seen this chair many times when I pass by the Kenneth Cobonpue Showroom at Greenbelt and always wondered how it felt to sit on one. I got to try it here and it's incredibly comfortable! The material feels like suede and it's really soft.

This light fixture inspired by clouds. The shell is made of plant fibers as opposed to most DIY stuff on the internet that uses cotton balls.

Various features of Cobonpue's work all around the world.

One of his best-known concepts is bayanihan. This is a timeless Filipino concept meaning "selfless help" - helping others without expecting anything in return. This is usually done in the past when people moved their huts around and required the help of other people, even complete strangers! This is why there are a lot of human figures reaching for something.

Chairs inspired by noodles.

Cute steel sculpture.

I forgot what these lights represent, but aren't they perfect for almost any room?

This lamp was inspired by the skirt of a classical dancer. I personally think it'd be challenging to clean though. :\

Grass inspired chairs. Cobonpue used a similar concept for the chairs used by the APEC leaders last year.

Seeing through the bayanihan screens.

Banana leaf dining set.

The craziest, perfect patio dining set I've ever seen. This would totally be perfect for a dramatic outdoor setting.

After the quick tour, we were showed a video of Kenneth Cobonpue's life and how he pushes himself and his staff to achieve the impossible and bring his innovative designs to life.

This lamp inspired by fisherman's nets!

Completely something out of an interior design book, don't you agree?

This one was inspired by bridges, and my favorite of the bunch.

Even your baby's bassinet can be made with such style!

This is the same design for the token given to the APEC leaders. So gorgeous to see it up close!

It was such a surreal experience being here and it was even better to have experienced it with other architecture students like me. I could tell the guide was surprised because all of us were totally spazzing out over everything we saw here.

Stay tuned for more travel posts! Up next, Oslob! :D

15 comments:

  1. OMG! the interiors design are to die for... I love the leafy chair design.. Everything is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go broke in this shop! I must see if they have any job openings... these pieces are just love! They would just glam up any dull place in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh~ I like all the interior stuff.. So creatively designed.. Nice one..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to visit this place too. Is this new? I did not hear of this when I last visited a few years back. Very out-of-the-box designs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Kenneth Cobonpue because he is the one who designs Ironman medals. It would be nice to visit his museum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been to Cebu a number of times but havent seen any of his creations yet nor visited his studio. I have read so much about him in magazines and i find his masterpieces indeed masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed, a great and a wonderful personality. It looks great especially the interior view. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how unique the furniture looks but it still looks like it will fit in your home just fine. The design is somewhat connected to nature as well, which makes it somewhat relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the concept of his furniture. It pretty much fits to any style you want for your home. I like the bassinet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The furniture designs are superb with unique and amazing uses. The more it shows the coolest and grandeur inventions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is so gorgeous! I would love to bring such pieces for my home too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love to research more about this place and learn the beauty it adores.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, love the sculptures from this place. The first trishaw sculpture is my favourite of them all.. The little sofa chair is also quite good

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd like to sit on the round felt chair. Everything looks so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally love it!!! The fabroc detailing, the wire detailing, the cane material, the origami inspirations, its all just awesome!!

    ReplyDelete