LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cambodia 2013: Part 2

We proceeded to Tonle Sap lake after lunch to see the floating village in Siem Reap. With everything there just incredibly close by, the bus ride was far from being long. Once there, you're greeted with the usual snack stalls and a nice hand-painted sign.




The boat ride was relatively long. Mostly because there was a lot of the village to see. A few minutes into the trip, two boys started to give random people massages without them asking. I was one of the first to experience it. Quite uncomfortably, if I may add. Imagine suddenly feeling someone just slapping away at your back and shoulders. The massage itself wasn't bad, I just didn't like how it was so abrupt and the boy's hands aren't exactly clean to begin with. You do anything to earn, I guess. The people of the Floating Village are impoverished despite their floating homes. In the Philippines, it may be the equivalent of our "squatter areas."

There was this lady that followed us around persistently asking for alms. Ang taray nanlilimos na naka-motor boat. Haha! But I digress. Despite the irony of her asking for alms on a motor boat, it sort of gives you an idea of how immense the situation is in their area. Beside the child in the boat is actually a python just freely slithering in their boat. Not even joking. And the kid just plays with it like it's nothing. Now, pythons aren't venomous, but when has it ever been a good idea to leave one with a toddler? That's just disturbing.

Floating villages have floating markets.


And floating restaurants!


There's also a floating school. No matter how poor, everyone deserves to be educated, and I love that this exists in their community.


We got off at the crocodile farm where they harvest the leather for bags, wallets, and other leather goods.


The view from the top floor of the crocodile farm.


Sundown was beginning to settle in by the time we got back to the port. We headed back to the Ree Hotel to get some rest before night activites.


After dinner, we went to watch The Smile of Angkor at Siem Reap's Grand Theater.

Lead actors were outside ready to take their picture with you for one dollar. This was the trend everywhere in Cambodia. Every little thing is a dollar. Even the beggars ask for a dollar for alms. With their accent, it's like you always hear, "One dollah, one dollah!"

I could only take pictures of the hall since it was prohibited to take pictures during the show.

The play is basically about the mythology in Cambodia, as well as a short history of the country and the part that religion played in the grand scheme of things. In all honesty, I was a bit bored. It's really not bad at all. Maybe I wasn't into that kind of thing, but let's just say it's something you can afford to miss when you're in the country.

Stay tuned for more travel posts! I can't wait to share Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat! :D

15 comments:

  1. Amazing places... wish I was there.
    It look so warm <3 Where I'm from, it's snowing like hell :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots! I wish I can take pictures as well as you do. Fully captures the beauty of the place - makes me want to go to Cambodia..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of Butuan City and the Agusan Marsh. Cool place! Crocodiles too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cambodia is really beautiful. I wish I can visit there in the near future. Thanks for sharing us your vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! It`s a great oportunity to travel, to meet new people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow didn't know there are floating villages in Cambodia. This is one of the places I want to go to. Wonderful photos and great blog post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! that village is amazing!!! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't tried exploring Cambodia through the river. I'll do this the next time I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I have been thinking the Asian country that I want to visit this year. Your blog let me consider Cambodia :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom went to Cambodia last year. The weather was the same here during summer and she said she enjoyed the view of the village.

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing! i really want to visit cambodia once!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooh. i want to experience that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh love your trip! Great photo's :) crocodiles are so cool to see, I saw them once in Miami. So impressive. So cool how they all have floating structures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know what really caught my attention, the floating school. If Cambodia can do it then maybe the Philippines can also adopt the idea of having a floating school.

    ReplyDelete