LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Art Supply Review: ZIG Kuretake Wink of Stella Brush Pen

 
If you've been following my posts recently, then you already know about my new obsession towards calligraphy! In high school, we had calligraphy classes but we only wrote in Mandarin so now I'm finally trying my hand with the English language! I've tried a few brush and lettering pens before, but I have to say that the Wink of Stella brush pen by ZIG Kuretake would be my newest favorite! Read on to see my experience with this awesome pen!

The body is in this simple plastic finish. There are only the words, "KURETAKE" and "PUSH" embossed on the body. Despite the simplicity, it's still quite beautiful because of the twisted form. #DesignerGoals

I found out later that it actually still isn't ready for action because the brush nib is still clean as a whistle.

By checking the back of the box, I found out that you're actually supposed to remove the black ring in the middle and then reattach the nib to the body to connect the nib to the ink cartridge.

Once attached, you should shake the pen while squeezing the pen where the word, "PUSH" is embossed. I did this for a while and I was really confused, until the ink suddenly started to flow.

It actually leaked out way too much because I didn't know you were supposed to let go as soon as the ink starts to flow in the transparent part you see before the brush part. After the sudden burst of sparkly ink, it was ready to go and I finally got to test it out! :)

No doubt, ZIG Kuretake Wink of Stella is the softest lettering brush pen I've used to date! I'm able to create incredibly fine lines to thick lines without a lot of effort. I'm willing to bet people with a light hand will love this pen so much! I really wish that the camera could show how sparkly the ink is. And I love how the glittery finish isn't gaudy or too much. It's a bit muted but powerful at the same time. It's just so pretty to look at!

Another fun part about this brush pen is that you can layer the ink to create more depth. I used this to darken the ends of each letter.

Overall, I can't imagine all the possibilities this brush pen opens. Not just for calligraphy, but I imagine that I can definitely use it to render as well! Such a great tool! Honestly could not be more grateful to my friend, Keena, for getting me this as a gift all the way from Japan!

If you are interested in the ZIG Kuretake Wink of Stella pen, you can definitely buy it locally as well. If I'm not mistaken, it costs an average of 350php. You can check it out at Craft Carrot, one of my new favorite online stores. Definitely worth a try especially if you're interested in giving your words some glamour! :D

22 comments:

  1. You have a pretty hand writing buddy. Is it really because of the pen or an innate skill? It must be both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lorenzo, you have a talent in making the letters look more stunning. Envious here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been into Calligraphy for some time now, and this pen really makes me want to practice more. It's awesome, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This calligraphy pen is so chic! I love how they have the black ring in the middle as a safety feature so that customers won't try new pens in store. That why you know you buy a new set. Thanks for sharing this lovely review and your beautiful penmanship :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I've been drawn to calligrahy ever since it started trending in our local art scene but I've never really tried it. The ZIG Kuretake Wink of Stella pen seems great, you think a beginner with no calligrahy background whatsoever can use this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice pen. But of course, it looks expensive, so it is something to invest in when you are already serious in the craft. You are very artistically talented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my, i would love this! this would have been so helpful during my studies too

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got a lovely handwriting and love the pen.Isn't it very good for writing cards or invites. Feel like buying this one to try my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this type of pen is like what Ive veen seeing in national bookstore for engineering pencils and pens. can this be used it drawing subject as well??

    ReplyDelete
  10. this type of pen is like what Ive veen seeing in national bookstore for engineering pencils and pens. can this be used it drawing subject as well??

    ReplyDelete
  11. this type of pen is like what Ive veen seeing in national bookstore for engineering pencils and pens. can this be used it drawing subject as well??

    ReplyDelete
  12. This calligraphy pen is something that artists should have. Is this one made in Japan? The brand name seems a Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice that it can go for different strokes and sizes. This is a great calligraphy pen and can be all around too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make writing well look so effortless. Nice pen, the penmanship is even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful. Investing in such pens is not cheap. So do keep up the good work and practise to make it worth every cent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This Wink of Stella Brush Pen looks pretty great for calligraphy. I am not so good in arts but those words that you practice on the paper are awesome. I wish to learn also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute ,yes surely that's pen for calligraphy.your writing is really good

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute ,yes surely that's pen for calligraphy.your writing is really good

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love lettering, so is great to find out about this brush. I am sure that it would be ace to work with once the technique is mastered.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow this is such a great pen and especially for creative people like you who love typographic art. Nice choice of color.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your calligraphy skills are pretty great! Have you started selling your services already?

    And thanks for the honest review on Zig Kuretake.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I could actually see hints of sparkle, and can sense how frustrated you must be that the photo doesn't do the ink justice. Anyhoo, I might purchase that pen!

    ReplyDelete