LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Tsuta Ramen | Trying Michelin Starred Ramen in Manila

Tsuta Ramen has been making a lot of buzz in the Metro lately so I thought I finally would try it out for myself! I'm a big fan of ramen so I was really curious to know what separated Tsuta from classic favorites like Ippudo and Ramen Nagi. Read on to learn about my experience!

Tsuta is located along the edge of Central Square, BGC which faces Bonifacio High Street. Just right beside Mango Tree and across from Crystal Jade.

You will immediately be greeted by a screen showing Tsuta's success and Michelin Starred Ramen at the bottom.

Gorgeous interiors, no surprise there!

The menu is quite simple. Just two pages. The prices are slightly higher than your usual bowl of ramen here in Manila. I ended up ordering the specialty ramen called Sang La Tan Tan Soba. It was a Filipino fusion with the Japanese Tantanmen which is spicy ramen with ground meat. This time it was made more flavorful with crispy pork or chicharon bits.

We sat at the bar which is a great way to see them work. Honestly, I should probably eat at the bar areas of Japanese restaurants more!

Now for the taste test!

Thanks to the peanut paste, the ramen had a strong peanut flavor that strongly reminded me of Chinese style noodles. It was salty with a heavy umami flavor that you could tell was uniquely Japanese. There's also some spiciness but nothing too overpowering. Definitely a delicious bowl of ramen but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's better than Ippudo or Ramen Nagi or Hokkaido Ramen Santouka. The soup was so salty that I couldn't even finish it which is unusual for me.

However, it is by no means bad. It's just really strong in terms of flavor. I'm sure if you ordered the more classic variations such as Shoyu or Miso, the taste would be more toned down but probably wouldn't be distinguishable from other popular ramen joints in Manila.

The star of the show for Tsuta's Ramen would definitely be their egg! Absolutely stunning and flavorful. It is almost sweet and so incredible that it almost makes me think that it is probably the reason for the Michelin star. Haha! Their egg is definitely the best I've ever had on any ramen ever. So insanely good.

Overall, Tsuta's Ramen is pretty good. Without their signature egg though, I probably wouldn't be as encouraged to come back at these prices.

We also tried their pan-fried gyoza! Very very good quality gyoza. And I love that it almost traps the sauce inside the dumpling so it explodes in your mouth. Awesome!

Have you tried Tsuta Ramen? What are you thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment