LOOK TO THE LIGHT | 2017 URBAN GLADIATOR JAPAN DECEMBER 2015 | OSAKA SEOUL MARCH 2016 | YEOUIDO & NAKSAN BOHOL JULY 2016 | PART 2

Sunday, November 13, 2016

New Grayscales With Cambio Brush Pen

One of the downsides of following local art online shops is wanting every single thing. Haha! One of the brush pens that's recently caught my eye is the Kuretake Cambio Brush Pen. No regrets though as I'm pretty excited to see the things I can use this particular brush pen for in the future!

The usual Kuretake packaging. I got this in Tokyu Hands at Shinsaibashi for 500yen which is approximately 200 bucks here in the Philippines.

The assembly is pretty much the same. Just remove the yellow pieces and reassemble and you're all set!

Compared with other famous brush tips by ZIG Kuretake, the Cambio Brush Pens are on the short side, but the brush is thicker. The fibers used feel more natural and fluffy (Best way I can describe it haha) as opposed to their usual brushes which are obviously very synthetic and more rigid.

I got the grey color because the other choices were vermillion and black and I didn't have a grey brush pen yet! As I was waiting for the ink to spread across the brush fibers, it felt a little too watery at first, so it really looked like slightly ink-stained water. However, after a while, it gets darker and more visible like pigmented watercolor! I'm pretty sure this would be a lot of fun if you got it in black. The grey is an interesting choice though if you like the slightly translucent and faded finish.

Another thing to note is that the body this time is a tough plastic casing so you can't squeeze the ink out like with most brush pens. You can either give it a shake or just wait for it to refill on its own. No issue though since it replenishes ink pretty fast.

My shopping motto in a photo. LOL I've actually been using this brush pen for creating shadows in my drawings and they truly work like a charm. Since the ink is light, it's easy to create depth by layering. I imagine it would make beautifully subtle effects when used in other types of art. However, for calligraphy, it may take some layering if you want it a bit darker. Definitely a good brush pen to have in your arsenal! :)

You can get this locally at Pens Galore PH (290PHP), Scribe stores, and Invitation House stores.

15 comments:

  1. Nice lettering! I think a darker shade would be better to create shadows. Are these brush pens available online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I love Tokyu Hands. I always make sure to drop by one of its stores whenever we go visiting Japan. They seem to have everything and most of the items they have are unique and cant be found elsewhere. This pen that you got looks really neat I hope I can catch a piece the next time I am in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pens are amazing, i love to own these can please tell me where can I get them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess this is a perfect graduation gift for my brother who's graduating soon from architectural school. Looks like a good product, so I won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot imagine using a brush pen yet. I have not seen one in real life. I imagine it would be like a Chinese calligraphy pen but stiffer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're really great at this one. I rarely see grey color on pens and it does look catchy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a hoarder of brush pens. Some I just keep and some I use. I don't have this in my collection yet so thanks for being an enabler. Haha! I'm going to my favorite bookstore tomorrow and hoping I could snag at least one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just as you said, its the perfect color to paint shadows with! Isn't it more difficult to get the detailing when its more fluffy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love looking at your calligraphy and when you test your pens. It's pretty therapeutic! Does the grey work on dark coloured paper?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfect for those who love to do calligraphy! If I only have enough time to learn how to stroke and do other calligraphy thing, I would have done it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though I'm not one for specialty pens , I can appreciate what they are capable of offering. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It says that pen is mightier than the sword. It writes to make or unmake a person or anyone. With the appropriate pen to use, it is "deadlier" so to speak if the user is skillful to do it. Do you believe on that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just the other day we attended one event where there was caligraphy booth. Spotted some such pens there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your handwritings, very neat and nice... Wonderful brush pen u hv!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think I'd prolly get one in Navy blue, that would look interesting. Or red and green for Christmas themed cards to go with gifts this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete